Thursday, February 4, 2010

Via Poxy

Here are the latest happenings in our lives: Ella is covered from head to toe in chicken pox*. She doesn't seem that ill effected or bothered by it yet, thankfully. She just looks a bit ragged. I told her this afternoon that I was going to give her an oatmeal bath to sooth her skin. She misunderstood and I eventually caved and fed her oatmeal while she took her oatmeal bath.

We went swing dancing the other night. It was fun to get out and check the lindy scene here. We got stuck in a rain storm coming home. We got soaked, but laughed the whole way.

We've managed to learn the public transportation--buses and metro--now. And by we, I really mean, Tyler. He's my hero when it comes to stuff like that, and I am so grateful for him. Without him, I would be just a stupid American tourist. With him, I'm a stupid American tourist in disguise. Both the buses and the metro cost about 50 cents (USD) one way. Very cheap. And it's just nice to be able to get around like the locals.

We found a willing baby-sitter for Pea so T & I can start some tango lessons. She's from the States, here studying language. We were supposed to start a couple days ago...but then, the pox.
I have found a place to take a yoga class once a week. I really can't understand much of anything, Gabriel, the instructor says, but he's good at demonstrating. The classes are very different from the flowing classes I'm used to. It's a great challenge to have. He has a very precise yoga practice and I'm getting my booty kicked by his adjustments to my sometimes sloppy poses. As I was leaving class this morning he said to me in very broken English, "We speak different languages, but we are still talking."

Our neighborhood is starting to feel familiar and homey. Colorado-sickness comes and goes. But despite all the obstacles we've faced since we've been here, we're happy to be sharing this adventure with each other. And with you!

*We have chosen not to do any vaccinations thus far, and are actually very grateful that she got them this early in life. Chicken Pox are hard to come by in the US because of the shots they give kids. In fact, some of my other non-vax momma friends are upset that we are not there to 'share the germs', as it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment