Friday, February 19, 2010

Tango Bliss

Tyler and I attended a lesson at yet another studio last night. We've been searching for some instructors and classes that would be a good fit for us, and so far have just been studio hopping and having a good time, but not a fabulous time. But last night's class rocked our world! Roberto, the instructor, looked like he stepped right out of an early 1900's dance floor. He old-school tango technique was impeccable. In chatting with a couple fellow students who spoke a bit of English, it was clear that Roberto was very well respected as a teacher. Roberto didn't speak a lick of English, but a few other students were kind enough to whisper clarifications to Tyler and I as he spoke.

I was a bit intimidated by the class as a whole. I felt like the underdog in a class of students who were all much better than I. It didn't help that when we would practice the steps Roberto taught that a man I was dancing with would stop me and correct me in things. At first, I was a little offended. In lindy hop, students don't really offer students critique unless asked. It's a little rude--especially in the middle of dancing a song. But once I got over myself (humbled and receptive) what I learned was that these guys were not being critical, they were genuinely interested in the wellbeing of my tango. And what I learned half way through class is that many of these 'students' were not actually students, but were there as assistants to the main instructor. Awesome! Tyler and I both got essentially mini private lessons from really amazing teachers. They helped shape up Tyler's basics and connection. And they helped me with my timing, roping in my steps (way too big), and assisted with my frame. We got a lot of attention from all of them--a benefit of being the worst in the class. Ha!

The class was such an inspiration. We're going to take a private lesson or two from one of the co-teachers. Roberto runs a milonga on Fridays with a lesson before. Guess where Tyler and I will be tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment