Saturday, February 13, 2010

Organico in BA and the Coffee in our Cups

One of the bigger challenges that has faced me personally since moving down here is trying to feed my family well. There is lots of good food here, but not necessarily lots of healthy food--even in the supermarcados. Organic is rare, I think mostly because most of the farms ship their organic produce to the US. And there just seems to be a lot less of a market for it here.

But this week, I had a box of local and organic veggies and fruit delivered right to my door. I got to choose the veggies and fruit, I placed an order online, and poof--it arrived. Here's the selection, minus the big squash that was already in the oven and some dried fruit that I also purchased from them.



I made some delicious veg soup that day. Tyler made us stirfry someday this week. I made pasta sauce from scratch last night. And I think tonight we might roast some Argentine beef (yummy!) and roast some potatoes. It feels good to be in the (albeit, tiny) kitchen!

Our search for good coffee continues. (The back story in a nutshell is that the coffee you buy at a cafe equals delicious. The coffee beans you can purchase in the store equal swill.) We found a story a few blocks from us called The Coffee Store. Sounded promising. It's a coffee shop that also sells their coffee--imported coffee. That means that it could potentially be good but also very pricey. Argentina puts stiff taxes on everything imported. We've tried two blends. Of course we like the more expensive one--and Ethiopian bean and dark roast. It costs us approximately $15USD for about half a pound. At that rate, we're almost more apt to just get coffee from a cafe every morning. That costs about $1.50USD. But then we'd have to get out of our pajamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment