Monday, January 11, 2010

Adventures in Eating

So we are still pretty much on Mountain Standard Time, which is fine because all of Argentina seems to be too. We wake up around 10am. We eat lunch around 3pm, dinner at 8 or 9pm, and are in bed around midnight.

We moved into our new studio today. It took us about 20 minutes to unpack. This afternoon Ella went fimmy (swimming) in the pool on top of our high-rise building. Well, I don't know...maybe 10 stories isn't high-rise. Anyway. It's a great flat--about the size of our kitchen and living room combined (for those of you who know our house). It's small, but it's bright and has a good-sized patio. I really like the open feel. The shower has the water pressure of a fire hidrant! I promise to post picures soon!

I worked today as Ella napped--that was refreshingly normal. I love my work, but it was extra good to be doing something so familiar and...English. :)

So, moving on to the title of this post...Tonight we quested for dinner. We've had some great pizzas and salads since we've been here, but were in the mood for something different. We walked around a few blocks by our new place. We've already dined at several of the local cafes (which have all been fabulous). We settled on a nice looking (napkins folded in fancy ways, lots of dinnerware sitting out, a great selection of wines...) restaurant called Canal, or something like that. We asked the waiter about the especiale (the special) advertised on the menu. He offered us a mostly English menu and pointed out what came with the special for two people. It seemed like a lot of meat, and some organ meats. I'm all for getting organ meats into my family, so I said to go for it. Well. I don't know exactly what came on the hot platter thirty minutes later. It seemed high-quality and well-prepared. But I'm pretty sure we ate kidney, some sort of entrails, ribs, and perhaps brain?! I'm only sort of kidding. We tried it all. Most of it was very chewy. Dinner for 2 here, means dinner for 4 according to our eating habits. And you know it wasn't pleasant when Tyler didn't take leftovers! The wine was excellent. But we had to buy a bottle on the way home to wash down the memories with. Oh, and I forgot to mention that as we were paying our bill, a friendly cockroach fell from the sky and started wandering our table. Tyler and I just looked at each other and laughed....and got the heck out!

Pour me another glass, my love.

1 comment: